Wednesday 12 June 2013

Cinnamon Buns



As is probably pretty apparent by my posts on this blog I don’t really go in for cooking sweet things much. I will of course, if at a restaurant, get a dessert. Nine times out of ten anyway. And there has been the odd occasion when I have made one: usually for a dinner party or Christmas or the like. Expresso granita, crème brûlée, Eton mess and champagne jellies with syllabub cream all spring to mind.

Similarly baking.. it’s just not something I really do. 

God knows why then I decided a while ago that I absolutely must make some cinnamon buns. My mum was coming to stay and I decided that I would make them for breakfast - I had to make them for breakfast. But really, I have no idea why.

Still, here they are. And quite lovely they were too. You could of course forego the cream cheese icing, but where would be the fun in that? And you could make your own puff pastry rather than using store-bought. But, well, ditto.


Cinnamon Buns
makes 8


50g unsalted butter, softened
30g pecans, chopped
2 tbsp soft dark brown sugar
2 tbsp soft light brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
320g sheet ready-rolled butter puff pastry

Preheat the oven to 200C.

Beat the butter, pecans, sugar and cinnamon together. 

Unroll the sheet of puff pastry and spread the butter mixture evenly all over it, then roll back up into a longish sort of sausage shape.

Cut this into 8 pieces and place the pieces cut sides down into a non-stick roasting tin or onto a large non-stick baking tray. Flatten gently with your hand. 

Sprinkle with a little extra cinnamon and sugar then bake for 15-20 minutes until puffed and golden. While the buns are cooling a little, make the cream cheese icing.



For the cream cheese icing

65g cream cheese, room temperature
60g icing sugar
30g butter, softened
½ tsp vanilla extract

Combine the cream cheese, icing sugar, butter, and vanilla in medium bowl and beat until smooth. 
Spread onto the rolls and serve warm or at room temperature.






No comments:

Post a Comment