Monday 27 August 2012

Prawns with Mange Tout & Mushrooms




Due to the fact that I haven't blogged anything for absolutely months, I have a documents folder virtually groaning with recipes and photos, not to mention restaurant reviews and the like. I have, in short, a lot to catch up on.

What I'm going to be doing then over the next few weeks is basically post as many of these old meals and recipes as I can. One problem of course is that by and large I won't have any background story to go with these dishes, I tend to scribble down recipes and possibly the odd note but it is when I write the post that I pad it out, with thoughts and observations.

Take the recipe below. I have no idea where the inspiration came from, why I chose to make it at that time, and so on. I vaguely remember that it was pretty good and that I'd wanted to use my new purchase of "White Mischief " spice blend (which you can read more about, or purchase, here), but other than that I remember very little else really.

The same will be true of many of the forthcoming recipes where I'm shifting through the backlog so I suspect that they will be rather more succinct than usual. But anyway, here it is, a light and quick midweek supper of stirfried prawns with vegetables.


Prawns with Mange Tout
Serves 2


225g prawns
85g mange tout, sliced into 3 on the diagonal
good handful oyster mushrooms, torn in half if large
2 teaspoons groundnut / rapeseed oil
3 slices peeled ginger, julienned
1 clove garlic, finely sliced
Sauce:
¼ tsp salt
⅛ tsp sesame oil
4 tbsp water
½ tsp corn flour
1 tbsp Shaoxing cooking wine (or rice wine)
2 pinches “white mischief” powder (or white pepper)
dash light soy
100 ml vegetable stock



Mix the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.

Put a wok over high heat and add the groundnut oil.

Just before it starts to smoke, add the ginger & garlic and stir-fry briefly until aromatic before throwing  in the prawns.

Stir the prawns round a few times before adding the mange tout and oyster mushrooms. Stirfry for a further 1-2 minutes.

Finally tip in the sauce and stir everything together for a minute or so that the prawns and veg are coated with the sauce and the prawns are cooked through.

Serve immediately on a bed of rice: the nuttiness of brown rice works well here I think.




No comments:

Post a Comment