Tuesday 3 January 2012

Pork Steaks braised with Creamy Leeks & Mustard




So as evidenced by my last two 2011 update posts, I’ve finally settle into the new (old) flat, or at least as well as I ever will so thought it time to get back in the blogging saddle. Of course it is now, albeit temporarily, my rather small, South East London kitchen but there we go.

Feeling relatively uninspired by some leeks in the fridge I opted in the end for a braised pork recipe - very similar in fact to the braised veal chops I’ve cooked previously but with cabbage instead of leeks.

My intention with this had been to use a mixture of dijon and wholegrain mustards. As I was fresh out of the latter I opted to use black and yellow mustard seeds mixed with the dijon instead. Feel free to use wholegrain mustard if that is what you have. I also had some celery seeds in the cupboard so decided to use them but they’re purely optional.

One thing that I have noticed is that the photos I take in this flat are truly awful: the lighting I guess. For the time being I'm not at all sure what I need to do about it so do bear with me!


Pork braised with creamy leek & mustard sauce
Serves 2


2 pork shoulder steaks
2 large leeks, washed, trimmed and thinly sliced
butter
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp crème fraîche

½ small glass vermouth
250ml chicken stock
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp black mustard seeds
½ tsp yellow mustard seeds
½ tsp celery seeds (optional)
2 tsp dijon mustard
sea salt and pepper


Preheat the oven to 180C.

Season the pork steaks on both side with sea salt & freshly ground black pepper then brown the steaks on both sides in a little olive oil in a casserole over a low heat on the hob. Set aside.

Add a small knob of butter to the casserole then add the leeks and garlic, mustard seeds & celery seeds. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes until the leeks are beginning to soften.

Turn up the heat, add the vermouth and reduce by half before adding the chicken stock. Bring to boil then simmer for a few minutes.

Nestle the steaks into the sauce, half cover and place the casserole in the oven. Cook for 1 hour.

Remove from the oven and set the pork steaks aside somewhere warm. Put the casserole over a medium heat on the hob and stir in the crème fraîche and Dijon mustard. Simmer for a couple of minutes. Check the seasoning and adjust carefully if necessary.

Serve either whole or sliced, with a veg of your choice (I went with a bed of sautéd, shredded kale) and the sauce poured over.



No comments:

Post a Comment