Thursday 14 April 2011

Spicy Salmon & Noodle Broth



I've had a pretty heavy cold this week - possibly brought on by the disappearance of the lovely, yet unseasonable, warm weather - so I've got a wee bit behind with posting. As I'm off to Rome soon (yay!) and will therefore get even more behind I suspect that I'll have to double-post over the next few days.

So, first up today is "Salmon part II" as I'd had some to use up after the miso salmon from the day before.

I basically fancied something light yet filling, tasty and healthy. What I came up with is in part inspired by an Angela Hartnett recipe I read a couple of months ago in The Guardian and also by something I'd seen by Nick Nairn somewhere or other. What I remember about the latter is that he wrote that the basis of his broth is usually a fresh fish stock combined with mussel juices but that he had attempted to use fish stock cubes once and it wasn’t a success. For some reason that made me want to try a fish stock cube myself. Not that I’m contrary or anything....


Spicy Salmon Broth
Serves 2


2 tsp of sesame oil
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 inch knob of ginger peeled & chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 lemongrass stalk, cut in half and crushed (whack with a rolling pin)
2 birds eye chillis, deseeded, deveined and cut into slivers
700ml weak fish stock (ie use half the amount of cube to water that the instructions suggest)
a couple of shakes of Linghams chilli sauce or Sriracha if you have it
2 tsp of soy sauce
6 tsp of fish sauce
2 salmon fillets (skin removed), cut into chunks - about 200g in total
2 spring onions, chopped
2 large handfuls of spring greens, shredded
100g fine beans, trimmed and chopped in half
6 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 nest of dried noodles (about 50g)
Juice of 1 lime and rind of ½
4 tsp of chopped coriander



Gently heat the sesame oil in a large saucepan then add the garlic, ginger, onions and lemongrass. Sauté gently for about 5 minutes without letting the contents colour. 



Add the stock and bring to the boil, then add the chilli, soy & fish sauces. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.

Add the vegetables and simmer for a few minutes more.  



Then gently add the noodles and salmon chunks and simmer until the salmon and noodles are cooked (about four minutes).

Finally, stir in the the lime juice and the grated rind. Spoon into large bowls and sprinkle over with the chopped coriander, and perhaps some shredded spring onion and chilli slivers.



No comments:

Post a Comment